All pharmacy technician licenses issued after December 31, 2007 must add either STUDENT or CERTIFIED designation by their second renewal, in accordance with Section 9 of the Illinois Pharmacy Practice Act (225 ILCS 85/9)
If this is your first renewal, you will need to be either STUDENT or CERTIFIED at your next renewal.
Please refer to your license. If STUDENT or CERTIFIED appears near the words PHARMACY TECHNICIAN, you are not required to submit any documentation with your renewal.
In order to add the STUDENT designation, you must submit one of the following with your renewal:
- A current letter from school official on school letterhead that clearly indicates your name and status as a student in a ACPE school of pharmacy; OR
- A photocopy of a current student ID that clearly indicates your name, the current academic year, and the College of Pharmacy; OR
- A print-out showing student status from school's website that clearly indicates your name, the current academic year, and College of Pharmacy; OR
- A photocopy of your letter form the Department approving your outline of a 1200 hour Course of Clinical Instruction.
In order to add the CERTIFIED designation, you must submit both with your renewal:
- Proof of passing an approved pharmacy technician exam (a photocopy of your PTCB or ExCPT certificate) AND
- Proof of education (either a copy of your pharmacy technician program certificate/diploma OR a statement from the pharmacist-in-charge of the pharmacy you are currently employed certifying that you have successfully completed a training program as provided for in Section 1330.210(a) of the Rules for the Administration of the Illinois Pharmacy Practice Act