According to Sec. 55-30 of Illinois Nurse Practice Act practice as a licensed practical nurse means a scope of basic nursing practice, with or without compensation, as delegated by a registered professional nurse or an advanced practice nurse or as directed by a physician assistant, physician, dentist, or pediatric physician, and includes, but is not limited to, all of the following:
- Collecting data and collaborating in the assessment of the health status of a patient.
- Collaborating in the development and modification of the registered professional nurse's or advanced practice nurse's comprehensive nursing plan of care for all types of patients.
- Implementing aspects of the plan of care as delegated.
- Participating in health teaching and counseling to promote, attain, and maintain the optimum health level of patients, as delegated.
- Serving as an advocate for the patient by communicating and collaborating with other health service personnel, as delegated.
- Participating in the evaluation of patient responses to interventions.
- Communicating and collaborating with other health care professionals as delegated.
- Providing input into the development of policies and procedures to support patient safety.